Acupuncture and ArthritisNovember 7, 2016
ACUPUNCTURE EASES MIGRAINE AND CHRONIC HEADACHESNovember 7, 2016
In 2030, approximately 42% of Americans will be considered obese. This is a scary prediction! It's a staggering fact that today as many as a quarter of all Americans are overweight. In their struggle to lose excess pounds, Americans spend over 33 billion dollars every year on weight loss programs. Unfortunately, almost 95% fail in their attempt to lose the weight they need to maintain good health. Fortunately, Acupuncture can help you not only lose weight but maintain your health! In the May 2012 publication of Obesity Reviews
, a team of researchers performed a detailed review of studies looking at Acupuncture and obesity. When compared to no treatment and pharmaceutical medications, the Acupuncture studies showed: greater weight loss, decreased BMI, decreased weight circumference.
involves the insertion of very fine, sterile needles at specific body points that creates a calming, relaxing effect, which counteracts the need for excessive eating caused by stress, frustration or anxiety. Acupuncture can power up weight control strategy by curbing appetite, quelling cravings, boosting metabolism, improving digestion, regulating obesity-related hormones and enhancing the way nutrients are used.
Scientists have provided explanations on HOW Acupuncture promotes weight loss:
- Release of Endorphins: Acupuncture needles inserted in specific points on the body and in the ear will release endorphins which have a calming and relaxing effect
- Increases metabolism: Auricular (ear) acupuncture temporarily increase basal metabolic rate and suppresses appetite due to the effects on the autonomic nervous system.
- Improves insulin resistance: Acupuncture alters activity of the sympathetic nervous system and possibly correcting the insulin signal defect.
- Decreases abdominal fat: An MRI study shows a decreased in abdominal fat storage after acupuncture treatments.
- Appetite suppression: Acupuncture influences the hypothalamus and obesity-related hormones to promote appetite suppression.
There are many reasons people become overweight such as: hormone imbalances, slowed metabolism, overeating, poor nutrition and lack of exercise. Using Acupuncture to tackle weight loss is a multi-pronged approach.
In order for an Acupuncture physician to choose the correct points for you, you must first come in and on your first treatment we will discuss your particular pattern of overeating, digestive problems, hormonal issues or anything that has been causing you difficulties in losing weight. Every patient is different and understanding the main causes of the person's excess weight is fundamental since it can be merely behavioral or it could be physiological. The number of Acupuncture treatments necessary depends on the patient's goals for losing weight, the speed in which they want to lose it. A benefit of Acupuncture weight loss treatments is that unlike medications, there are no harmful side effects and no chance for addiction.
Tips for using Acupuncture for weight loss:
- Choose a qualified, licensed Acupuncture physician.
- Complete a full course of treatment and you should follow a comprehensive weight loss plan. Treatments are normally 2 to 3 times per week for 4 to 6 weeks depending on patient's goals.